Friday, August 25, 2017

There Are No Hertz In My Computer...

...Just Giga Wiggles.

This has been bothering me for a while now and I thought it high time to correct the situation. A public service announcement has been waiting for, rather impatiently I might add, me to take responsibility for seeing to its expression. An announcement, I hasten to add, that is of utmost importance, if not exactly critically so.

In preface here let me just add that I have the highest respect for the physics community for using the name of Heinrich Rudolf Hertz as the unit of measure for waves and oscillations. Perfectly understandable of course. And in purely scientific inquiry, and general academic discourse, keeping with that tradition makes sense. In purely public discourse, however, I think a different term would be a great deal more useful.

So, without further todo let us henceforth use the word wiggles instead of hertz. And in this, of course, a bit of discipline will be required; but nothing that should be too difficult for any of you. And that is simply this: Every time you see something like "4 Ghtz," or "2.5 ghtz," or "500 mhtz" or any other variation of the suffix "htz," combined with an (usually) "m," or "g," or "t," just remember that what we are talking about here are wiggles; despite the significant accomplishments of a significant man.

This is important because it fits in with our duality you see. You know... between Father Fortress and Mother Earth?

This is so for the following reason: in one sense, nothing ever really touches, it only sends and receives wiggles. Then, at another level in that process, there is a kind of rubbing in which they have to use the probability over time, and space, interaction equations, of field theory. The bottom line being that something is rubbing, but it's all rather dicey, literally and figuratively.

However, in another sense "one" thing really does smash into "one"other thing (and why some things have to have a point of reference), and a whole lot of energy is released. Certainly, when my one right hand connects to my one right cheek, I notice in a manner quite different than one would associate with wiggles.

But there you have it, another way of looking at the dichotomy of two metaphorical, philosophical elementals. And a lovely, if I may say so myself, little public service announcement to help remind you to keep a new point of view at hand... Or was that a new sign to wave at as your evolving point of view passes by. Oh well, hardly matters, even as it matters all the time.







No comments:

Post a Comment